domingo, 8 de março de 2009

Immigration Stories

I first came here to conduct university studies. I was fortunate enough to obtain a Bachelor, Master, and PhD degrees. When I went back to Honduras, I realized that political connections, and economic class trump education. After four years of struggling over there, I entered a Post Doctoral program in Ohio. Then, I met a lovely lady who soon became my wife. She turned into an abuser as soon as she sponsored my conditional residence. My life was full of constant stress and humiliation. She took economic advantage of the situation. Finally, after 2 years of getting married, my life became so unbearable that I was forced to apply for divorce without having a permanent status. The immigration lawyers I met were incompetent and just after the money. I submitted the petition myself. It was granted in less than two months. This renewed my faith in the American immigration system. However, I recognize that many immigrants go through horrible situations. If you follow the law, the path may be lengthy, but the outcome is usually favorable. I am sorry to say it, but people should not expect to break the law and have a positive result.

Salvi
El Paso, TX

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have lived in the United States for 8 years. I was born in Burma. My family came over here to have a new life. We were chased by the government and our lives were in danger. My family has separated since I have come here. I am adopted and live with a great family.

Tim
BoyerWhitewater, WI

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I came to the United States when I was 16 years old. I was born in India and my family was having a lot of problems. All my life my mom told me of how wonderful America was and ever since then I have wanted to live there and become a legal citizen. While I was in town one day, in India, I met the man of my dreams. He told me that he was from America and it took my breath away because of the way that he talked about the amazing place. He asked me to marry him only after knowing each other for a couple of months. I said yes because I felt that I was truly in love with him. He took me back to that United States because he knew that it was my dream to live there. After three years of being married and getting my green card, I finally become a legal citizen. I guess that dreams do come true.

Tanushri
Chicago
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My family came to this country as legal immigrants, in search of safety, education, and most of all, a better life. I come from Somalia where a Civil War broke out in 1991 due to corruption of the government. When I came to America I was 12 years old and I had never attended school before going to the Newcomer Center at John Adams Middle School in Rochester in 2004. Unfortunately, when I transferred to Kellogg, my classmates were not very friendly towards me. I knew that people were talking about me and I would have stood up for myself, but at the time I couldn’t express what I wanted to say in English. However, these words were so hurtful that I thought of killing myself.
One night, my grandmother asked me how school was going for me. I told her that I never wanted to go back. My grandmother was shocked and speechless. Then, she told me that these are just some of the challenges that everyone has to face in life. She told me to be strong and just live through it. It is not the end of the world. She also encouraged me to keep working hard in school and to ignore what people were saying. Then I said, I will kill myself if you make me go back to that school. She slapped me across the face and said, You will what? If you kill yourself, then who is going to look after your little siblings? Do you think that killing yourself will solve all the problems that you have? She also said that if you give up now; then all the sacrifices we have made coming to this country were for nothing. That is the night I realized that if I kill myself, I would be giving up the fight.
To close, I would like to leave you with this thought: Since this country is made up of immigrants, and you or your ancestors were immigrants, why should you treat other immigrants any differently? Awale
Osman
Rochester, MN
Sorces:

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário